The new product reviews update by Google looks for detailed analysis, actual product utility, unique information, and comparable product coverage.
Google has started the implementation of the third version of the product reviews update. This search ranking algorithm targets the ranking of product review-related content on the web that is most valuable, helpful, and useful to searchers. The first version of the product reviews update was released on April 8, 2021, the second was launched on December 1, 2021, and now the latest and third update has been released on March 23, 2022. The name of the new update is the March 2022 product reviews update.
About Google Product Reviews Update
The Google product reviews update focuses on promoting review content beyond and above much of the templated information found on the web. Google says it will encourage such types of product reviews in its search results rankings.
Google is not directly punishing product reviews with lower quality that offer thin content that can summarise many products. However, if you also deliver such content and find your rankings demoted because other people’s content is promoted above yours, it will feel like a penalty.
According to google and technically, this is not a penalty against your content; it’s just Google is rewarding other websites with more insightful and detailed review content with ranking above yours.
Additionally, this update should only impact content related to product reviews and not other types of content.
Also Read: Complete Digital Marketing Guide
Know What Has Changed In Product Reviews Update – March 2022
With the release of the third version product reviews update, Google says the latest update “builds on” the work of the former two versions of product reviews update to enhance the ability of Google to determine high-quality product reviews. Alan Kent of Google added, “This will make it easier for us to get sound purchasing advice in front of users and reward creators who are earnest in being helpful.”
These are the following criteria for what matters with the latest product reviews update listed by Google
- Include insightful and in-depth details, like the drawbacks or benefits of the specific product item, specifications about how a product differs from other versions, or how the product performs.
- Review from people who have used the products and the details about the product physically such as how it’s used.
- Include some unique information beyond what the manufacturer provides, such as audio, visuals, or links to other content detailing the reviewer’s experience.
- Cover comparable items, or explain what makes this product better than its competitors.
The rollout for the March 2022 product reviews update will happen over the “next few weeks,” Google said. Latest and core updates usually take a few weeks to implement or roll out, so it should not surprise you. You can expect extreme changes in ranking to happen in the early stages of the rollout.
Impacts Of The March 2022 Product Reviews Update
In the future, this update may impact those who create product reviews in any language, but also Google says that the initial rollout will be only “English-Language Product Reviews.” Google also added that they have already seen some positive effects of this update. The search engine company plans to open up a product review system for more languages in the future.
Advice For Better Rankings With March 2022 Product Reviews Update
Google has provided three new points of advice for the third version release of the product reviews update. Have a look.
- Are our product review updates relevant to ranked lists and comparison reviews? Yes. Product review updates apply to all forms of review content. The best practices we’ve shared also apply. However, due to the shorter nature of ranked lists, you may want to demonstrate expertise and reinforce authenticity more concisely. Citing relevant results and including original images from tests you performed with the product can be good ways to do this.
- Are there any recommendations for reviews recommending “best” products? If you recommend a product as the best overall or the best for a particular purpose, share with the reader why you consider that product the best. What sets the product apart from others in the market? Why is the product particularly suited for its recommended purpose? Be sure to include supporting first-hand evidence.
- If I create a review that covers multiple products, should I still create reviews for the products individually? It can be effective to write a high-quality ranked list of related products combined with in-depth single-product reviews for each recommended product. If you write both, make sure there is enough helpful content in the ranked list for it to stand on its own.
Know Why You Should Know About March 2022 Product Reviews Update
If your website provides product review content, you will surely want to check the rankings if they were impacted. Did your organic traffic on Google decline, improve, or stay the same?
In the long term, you will want to make sure that you are going forward, and for that, you are required to put a lot more details and effort into your product review content so that the content stands out from the competitors on the web.
Also, the people who were impacted by the previous core updates that put in the work might get rewarded by this latest March 2022 Product Reviews Update.